Can't believe it's the end of August. We have some friends at the Corpus base getting their track selections (aircraft and location) in mid-September - this is a major wake-up call: "Wait a sec...they can't leave!" But that's how it is and how it's going to be for no less than the next 8 years. It's only a matter of time until we get our track selection!
Before I get ahead of myself, let me explain what primary flight training in Kingsville has been like so far - from the significant other's perspective...the Sig. O...or, as I personally like to be called, the Sig. Officer. (After hearing so many acronyms and weird military words on a daily basis, I feel I can take liberties. If people can check their flight schedules with Frank Sinatra, I can do whatever I want. CNATRA stands for Chief of Naval Training - where the flight schedules are located).

As for Navy training in the T-45 - it's wonderful and marvelous. It's been hard for me to not have a job - (that will soon change as summer winds down and schools need substitutes) - but having my husband around at weird hours has made me feel like we're back in college again! There are days when he can be gone for a couple hours or he can be gone the majority of the day. While the majority of the time his schedule is great, he can also have something scheduled at 0530 - (meaning he gets up at 0400) - or have a flight at 2200, meaning he won't get home until after midnight. And while Brian doesn't have the freedom to take leave for a trip to Alaska, (or anywhere cold :-), we DO get to enjoy the "honeymoon" of the Navy = flight training. “Honeymoon” means that he is in the same town as me - I do NOT take that for granted one bit. I also realize how amazing God's timing is in allowing us get pregnant so quickly; Brian is and will be a part of this pregnancy - we may not have that luxury in the future! The Psalms are right on: Be thankful in ALL things!
(Side note: the baby just kicked me, she agrees, be thankful...:-)
So it's wild to believe that Fall is nearly upon us and we've already lived here for 6 months! For those of you that remember about the progression of Brian's training, there is a big split between the tail-hook trainers in the next month. Some will go on to train for strike positions. (F-18 pictured below)

and some will go the E2/C2 route. I’m showing a pic of the C2 – the E2 has a big disc on the fuselage.

This is how I understand our future if Brian can choose the first strike route:
"Hi Honey, you're home! ...what was that? You're going to be deployed for 6 months? Well, that's what we expected. Wait, what did you say...? You’re going to train in Death Valley, CA, 3 months before deployment? That's nowhere near here! You might as well be deployed for 9 months - sheesh! But, you sure are having a lot of fun, right? I'm sure there are a ton of work-ups to do but it's gotta feel pretty cool to pull G's and kill evil people...(ding) welp, the roast is ready!"
This is how I understand the second route, (which would ideally be the C2's):
"Hi Honey, you're home! ...what was that? You're going to be deployed for 6 months? Welp, I understand. You want us to meet you in Hawaii? Okay, that'd be great - it must be nice to be on the boat for just a little while and then land on international land bases too. What…the avionics suck because the plane is so old? That doesn't sound like fun, but hey, you don't have the paperwork work-ups like some of the other pilots do. Hey, that means you'll be able to make it to our little girl's birthday party before you leave, right? (ding)...welp, the roast is ready!"

In a nutshell - option one: lots of long and challenging missions with a sweet ride or option two: old plane with a little more freedom.
Brian changes his opinion every day. I can't blame him - I'm glad I'm not in his flight boots. The second option may sound great for me, but if the aircraft really does end up sucking because of its age, I would rather have him gone more in a newer F-18. I just want him happily fulfilled in his career when he comes home. Whatever will happen, all we can do now is pray and look forward to whatever we get in a month!
No comments:
Post a Comment