Military moves are difficult - even if you knowingly signed up for this sorta gig - it just is. I personally like to pretend that boxes, stubbed toes, chapped fingers, gross sweatiness while lifting heavy objects, hard "see you later's" never actually occur - instead, we magically pop out at our next destination like Glenda the Good Witch in Wizard of Oz. (fitting reference for a Kansas Girl)

When Brian first mentioned that he wanted to do the majority of the move on our own he met a lot of resistance...from me.
"WHY can't we just do a Military move! They'll take care of it! bah boo roar argh!" (I didn't really say that last part, but I thought of things along those lines).
Despite my two cents, we packed boxes, padded up furniture, and loaded up a POD with the majority of our things, leaving the rest of our bulky things for the Covan movers to take. Due to the timing of Brian's start dates, we had to hit the road quickly in order to find a place to live. This left our dearly dependable friends and landlord to supervise the movers when they finally arrived at our apartment.

All was fine and dandy.
Then the POD was late in arriving in CA. A week late. Not too bad. We got it unloaded with the help of our friends and then waited patiently for our bed, couch, chairs and other important goods to arrive via military contracted move. (Covan)

And we waited.
Phone ring: (in southern drawl)
"Hey, is this Marie? I have your shipment and will be there tomorrow...but don't shoot the messenger, I don't think I have everything..."
"So shipment arrival!? sorta?"
Next day:
"Wait...this is broken! And you're right, this isn't everything...so where's our bed and couch...and other stuff?"
And we're still waiting. (a month and a half after they picked it up)
What they haven't broken, they've lost. This is nothing like our first military contracted move from OK to TX.
So the moral of the story is, moving sucks and if you want something done right, do it yourself. The End.
Well maybe not "the end"...we hope to have some resolve sooner or later. But at least, you're up to speed for now!
Oh, and lastly, I'm reminded that things aren't as important as we think they are...people are though :) There.
No comments:
Post a Comment